Article Text

PDF

Apparent monosomy 21 owing to a ring 21 chromosome: parental origin revealed by DNA analysis.
  1. R Dalgleish,
  2. D P Duckett,
  3. M Woodhouse,
  4. R S Shannon,
  5. I D Young
  1. Department of Genetics, University of Leicester.

    Abstract

    A three and a half year old mildly retarded boy is presented. Karyotyping showed monosomy 21 (45,XY,-21) in all 50 metaphase spreads examined from two lymphocyte cultures, and in 20% of cells examined from cultured fibroblasts; the remaining 80% of cells showed a ring 21 chromosome (46,XY,r(21)(p1q22]. Molecular studies using chromosome 21 specific DNA probes confirmed the monosomy in blood and showed that the ring 21 chromosome was paternal in origin. Parental karyotypes were normal.

    Statistics from Altmetric.com

    Request permissions

    If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.